Working in a good record store is more than just “Eating and listening to tunes all day.” On a good day I can:
- Sell a kid his very first record player.
- Settle a bet over which album came out first, Revolver or Rubber Soul.
- Help a tourist family choose music that will forever remind them of their one epic vacation in Hawaii.
- Fill in the last LP in a teenager’s Pink Floyd collection.
- Put on an obscure jazz record to see if it has scratches, and come out with a new favorite album.
- Sell a bunch of kids a “real record” to satisfy a scavenger hunt list.
- Buy CDs from a longtime customer that I normally wouldn’t, so that he can pay the rent.
- Eat and listen to tunes all day long.