Ten Things You Should Know About Hungry Ear and Record Store Day (Revised 2016)
Comments Off on Ten Things You Should Know About Hungry Ear and Record Store Day (Revised 2016)
- Record Store Day (or just plain “RSD”) is held every year on the third Saturday in April. That means this year we will be celebrating RSD on Saturday, April 16, 2016.
- Hungry Ear Records is most certainly participating in Record Store Day this year, as we have for every Record Store Day and Back to Black Friday since 2009. In fact, we were the first record store in the State of Hawaii to celebrate RSD!
- We’ll be opening super-early at 8:00 AM on RSD, since we know you’ll all be chomping at the bit to get as many special exclusive releases as possible. You’ll just have to excuse us if we’re still in our PJs.
- Record Store Day is a celebration of all brick and mortar indie record stores. The idea was to drive customers back into real record stores for at least one day every year. As a result, you’ll never find any RSD exclusive releases in chain stores such as Urban Outfitters, Barnes & Noble, Hot Topic, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart or K-Mart, nor online from sites such as Amazon.com.
- The biggest incentive for visiting participating stores on Record Store Day has become the exclusive releases on vinyl, CD and other media. What started as just a handful of titles from artists like Death Cab for Cutie and Vampire Weekend in 2008 has expanded each year into a long and winding list of approximately 350 official titles from musical acts of all genres and tax brackets.
View all the official RSD16 titles with a handy pulldown menu:recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleasesDownload the complete list as a PDF:RSD 2016 OFFICIAL RELEASE LIST
- Hungry Ear carries the largest selection of Record Store Day titles in the State of Hawaii. Every year, we make it a point to order at least one copy of every official RSD release, and often, many more. However, due to high demands, pressing plant problems, shipping delays, or simple human error, we cannot guarantee that we will receive and have for sale every RSD release. But, hey, we really do try!
- Unfortunately, you can’t pre-order and we can’t hold, save, or set aside any Record Store Day titles beforehand. As an RSD participating store, we have a lot of rules that we must comply with, put in place mostly to even the playing field for all walk-in customers, including you. The most important rule of all is that all RSD titles are on the sales floor and available to all of our customers when we open our physical store on the day of the actual event.
- Hungry Ear DOES NOT hold back high demand Record Store Day titles to sell online for inflated prices. We never begin selling RSD titles online until after Record Store Day is over. Anything that we do offer on eBay, Amazon, Discogs, or similar sites has already been available on the sales floor for at least 24 hours and at comparable prices.
- Sorry, we will not sell you more than one copy of any RSD title. Please don’t ask. The reason for this is two-fold. Most importantly, we want to give the people behind you in line a chance to get something nice on Record Store Day. And secondly, that guy behind you doesn’t want to look on eBay tomorrow, and see you selling the record that he couldn’t find in our racks, for ten times the original cost. A lot of people assume that it’s the retailers doing the price-gouging online. While that may be the case occasionally, chances are most of these resellers are the guys in line with you.
- Please forgive us if we don’t spend as much time with you as we normally do. As Ozzy says, “We love you all!” but Record Store Day is really our busiest day of the year. We love doing special orders for you, buying used records and CDs from you, making recommendations, or simply shooting the breeze, but if at all possible, it would be great if you could wait for another day!