If you’re planning to wait in line at Hungry Ear Records on Record Store Day:
- Hungry Ear Records will be opening at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 16, 2016, to celebrate the ninth annual Record Store Day. We are planning to do our last minute prep starting at 7:00 a.m. If you are in distress or having an emergency, please feel free to flag us down. Please be aware, however, that we will not be answering specific questions about how many copies of a certain title we received, or where they will be located. Remember, the hunt is half the fun!
- Customer parking will be available in the lot fronting our store. The lot will be unattended and the automatic arm will be raised until 8:00 a.m., when the attendant begins working. Don’t be alarmed when she leaves a ticket on your windshield. Simply retrieve the ticket from your car and present it to us as you are about to leave. We’ll give you the appropriate validation and you can be on your way home to listen to your new music!
- If our building parking lot is full, there will probably be parking available on the streets around the store and in the neighborhood behind our building. Please be respectful of our neighbors and please don’t park where you don’t belong.
- If you decide to come early and wait in line for Record Store Day, the line starts at our front door and proceeds along the walkway to the left. Please do not block any doorways and do not line up into the parking lot.
- Our goodwill liaison, Hector Elpe, Ambassador Victrola of Vinyldonia, will be on hand to help answer your questions, keep you entertained, and do basic crowd control (with just his mind). He will seem harmless and friendly but please, keep a safe distance at all times and above all, do not show any fear!
- Nearby places where you can get your morning cup of coffee, listed earliest first:7 Eleven (Open 24 hours) 2646 So. King St.
Burger King (Opens at 6:00 a.m.) 2536 So. Beretania St.
The Nook Neighborhood Bistro (Opens at 7:00 a.m.) 1035 University Ave.
Down to Earth Market (Opens at 7:30 am) 2525 So. King St.
Glazer’s Coffee (Opens at 8:00 a.m.) 2700 So. King St., D-101
Kokua Market (Opens at 8:00 a.m.) 2643 So. King St.
- Nearby places where you can get food early Saturday morning:7 Eleven (Open 24 hours) 2646 So. King St.
Burger King (Opens at 6:00 a.m.) 2536 So. Beretania St. Fast food.
Down to Earth (Opens at 7:30 a.m.) 2525 So. King St. Vegetarian.
The Nook Bistro (Opens at 7:00 a.m.) 1035 University Ave. Coffee, tea, American bistro breakfast.
Kokua Market (Opens at 8:00 a.m.) 2643 So. King St. Fruit juices, water, fresh fruits and packaged foods.
- Hungry Ear accepts Visa, MC, Amex, Discover and JCB. If you need to access cash, you’re in luck. There are a number of a banks nearby:Central Pacific Bank (ATM only) Just across the parking lot from Hungry Ear. ATM 24-hours.
First Hawaiian Bank (Bank opens at 9:00 a.m.) 2411 So. King St. ATM 24-hours.
Bank of Hawaii (Bank opens at 10 a.m.) 2470 So. King St. ATM 24-hours.
- If you’re in line early, the best place to access restrooms is Burger King (open at 6:00 a.m.). After 7:00 a.m., Hungry Ear can provide you the key to our building’s restrooms, located down the walkway to the left of our store and just past the Electric Bike Shop. The key opens the outer door, as well as the inside door to the restroom itself.
- We will not be buying used records or compact discs during the entirety of Record Store Day. We also cannot make special orders, issue gift certificates or hold merchandise. We will not be accepting personal checks, and all discount programs will be suspended during Record Store Day. We’re very sorry for any inconvenience.
- It should go without saying but someone always has to hear this: Be Nice. Record collecting is a hobby, not a job. There really is no record that you NEED. If you don’t enjoy looking for vinyl anymore, don’t do it. Call your mom, go to the beach, read a book — there are a lot of other things you can do on a Saturday besides spoil other people’s day with your bad attitude. So if you can’t be nice, take it somewhere else. Please and thank you.